Skip to content
Easy Gingerbread Cookies
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, with mixer at slow speed, beat flour, sugar, butter, molasses, egg, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt until well mixed.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- On a lightly floured surface, working with half of the dough this time, roll 1/8 inch thick. With floured cookie cutters, cut dough into shapes. Using a metal spatula or pancake turner, place cookies 1/2 inch apart on greased cookie sheets. Re-roll trimmings and continue to cut shapes.
- Bake for 8 minutes, or until very lightly browned. Transfer cookies to racks to cool completely.
Whipped Shortbread Cookies
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, cornstarch, and salt in a bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium-high until very fluffy and aerated, 4 to 5 min, scraping sides and bottom of bowl. Add milk and vanilla and beat for 1 min.
- Sift in half of the flour mixture, then fold in with a spatula until just combined. Repeat. Spoon half of the batter in a piping bag fitted with a large, open star tip.
- Bake until edges are lightly browned, 15 to 16 min. Let cool for 3 min, then transfer to a rack to cool. Repeat with remaining batter.
Chocolate Candy Cane Tarts
- 12 tart shells
- 75 ml whipped topping
- 1 package instant chocolate pudding
- 5 ml peppermint extract
- 50 ml crushed candy canes or mint candy
- Prepare tart shells as per package directions for unfilled tart shells. Set aside to cool.
- Whip whipping cream according to package directions and set aside.
- Prepare pudding mix according to package directions adding peppermint extract, if using, to milk and dry pudding mix before beating.
- Place half of the prepared pudding in a separate medium bowl and fold in 2/3 of the whipped cream.
- Divide plain pudding mixture (no whipped topping), evenly between cooled tart shells. Top with the pudding and whipped topping mixture.
- Refrigerate filled tarts and remaining whipped topping for at least 2 hours.
- Serve tarts topped with a small dollop of remaining whipped topping and sprinkled with crushed candy canes.