Skip to content
Holiday Baked Ham
- 1 fully cooked smoked half ham (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place ham on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Using a sharp knife, score surface of ham with 1/4-in.-deep cuts in a diamond pattern; insert a clove in each diamond. Bake, uncovered, 1-1/4 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine preserves, butter and mustard; heat through. Remove ham from oven. Spoon preserves mixture over ham. Bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 140°.
Tender Herb-Roasted Turkey
- 1 tablespoon dried sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 turkey-size oven roasting bag
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Pat turkey dry; brush with oil. Sprinkle herb mixture over skin of turkey. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- Place flour in oven bag and shake to coat. Place the bag in a roasting pan; add celery and onion. Place turkey, breast side up, over vegetables. Cut six 1/2-in. slits in top of bag; close bag with tie provided.
- Bake 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°. Remove turkey to a serving platter and keep warm. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy.
Roasted Goose with Savory Garlic Stuffing
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 domestic goose (11 to 13 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 bacon strips
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (14 ounces) seasoned stuffing cubes
- 4-1/2 teaspoons dried sage leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano, thyme and Italian seasoning
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- Preheat oven to 425°. Cut lemon in half. Rub inside and outside of goose with cut sides of lemon; discard lemon. Sprinkle inside and outside with salt and pepper. Prick skin well. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from goose breast; place bacon strips under skin. Set aside.
- For stuffing, in a large skillet, saute onions and celery in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in stuffing cubes, sage, salt, pepper and herbs. Add 1 cup broth and egg substitute; toss gently. Stuff the goose body and neck cavities loosely; tie drumsticks together.
- Place remaining stuffing in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; drizzle with remaining broth. Cover and refrigerate. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Place goose breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° Bake, uncovered, 2-3/4 to 3 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for goose and 165° for stuffing, pricking skin occasionally. (Cover loosely with foil if goose browns too quickly.) If necessary, drain fat from pan as it accumulates.
- Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 25-30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until browned. Cover goose with foil and let stand 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving goose.